Metrology for the Factory of the FutureShort Name: Met4FoF, Project Number: 17IND12
Building calibration capabilities for advanced, digital-only industrial sensors
Factories of the future will use Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) environments; networks of devices and machine-learning algorithms that can automate decision-making and manage production. Advanced digital-only sensors that can measure dynamic, time-dependent qualities such as acceleration, force, and pressure, and pre-process collected data are quickly becoming the de-facto standard in the IIOT. It is vital for manufacturing processes that such digital sensors measuring dynamic qualities are accurate and well-calibrated. However, the high-level calibration services currently offered by National Measurement Institutes (NMIs) are still focussed on analogue, rather than digital, outputs.
This project has developed calibration methods for advanced digital-only industrial sensors, including those with internal pre-processing capabilities. It has also established the infrastructure and software needed to take account of measurement uncertainty and quality together with measurement data, and synchronise data flow in sensor networks. This will help NMI facilities to become digital ready, and enable European factories of the future to be competitive with their global counterparts.
- News: Research develops methods for machine learning in metrology for sensor networks
- News: Virtual workshop: Sensor network metrology and the calibration of digital sensors
- News: Measurements for industry: EMPIR projects feature heavily at CIM 2019
- News: EMPIR project supports digital transformation in industry for COVID-19 recovery
- News: Two EMPIR projects work together to bring measurement to the IIoT
- News: Machine learning and data analysis video tutorials available from EMPIR project
- News: Workshops on Europe’s digital measurement evolution held in September 2021
- News: New software and guide on digital sensors for the Factory of the Future
Journal of Sensors and Sensor Systems
SMSI 2021 - System of Units and Metreological Infrastructure
AMA SMSI 2020
SMSI 2020 Conference – Sensor and Measurement Science International