Calibration Guides for accredited laboratories in EURAMET member countries
The use of harmonised and validated calibration guidelines increases the reliability of services provided by calibration laboratories in EURAMET member countries. Furthermore, it facilitates the accreditation process for these laboratories as by the use of a method described in a regional or national standard a validation of the method by the laboratory itself is not required.
EURAMET calibration guides are widely used within this community, but they only cover a limited range of calibration services. In many countries NMIs are supporting calibration laboratories by developing additional guides at a national level, however the mechanisms and specific issues, needs and opportunities for further support by the EURAMET TCs are not generally known to the EURAMET community. A cross-country cooperation in the development of calibration guides is only happening in a very few cases and is at an initial stage.
Support the development and provision of calibration guidelines in EURAMET member countries, and possibly beyond, by cooperation between national providers of guidelines and EURAMET TCs.
- Understand the mechanisms in EURAMET member countries by which the NMIs provide technical support to the accredited calibration laboratories of their countries, in particular in the development of calibration guides.
- Get an overview on the situation of calibration guides in EURAMET member countries: existing guides/new guides under development/need for new guides
- Analyse and describe the possibilities for cooperation between national initiatives and EURAMET TCs in the development and provision of calibration guides.
- Harmonisation of the structure of calibration guides, to facilitate their use in different EURAMET member countries.
- Identify stakeholder organisations and analyse possibilities and benefits of cooperation.
- Achieve NABs recognition of validated EURAMET calibration guides for the accreditation of calibration laboratories.
- Establish a European pool of calibration guidelines.
Progress Report 2023-01-31
In order to achieve the specific objectives, several Work packages (WP) have been agreed:
- WP 1: Questionnaire to EURAMET members
- WP 2: Questionnaire to / discussion with TCs with published Calibration Guides
- WP 3: Cooperation with stakeholder organisations:
- WP4: Identify stakeholder
- WP5: Survey on existing guides
- WP6: Discussion with EA on "validated" EURAMET Calibration Guides, address NAB´s
- WP7: Prepare guidance for EURAMET Calibration Guides: Role and cooperation of TCs and JRPs in the development of new Calibration Guides
- WP 8 :Mechanism for enhancing the pool of validated EURAMET Calibration Guides
- WP 9: Repository of Calibration Guides on EURAMET website
Progress has been achieved on Work packages 1, 2, 3, and 5, which was presented at the annual TC-IM meeting on 15 March 2022. The progress report can be downloaded here >>