EURAMET - The European Association of National Metrology Institutes
Our mission is to develop and disseminate an integrated, cost effective and internationally competitive measurement infrastructure for Europe. Always taking into account the needs of industry, business and governments. With our services we support our members to meet their national requirements and to establish a balanced European measurement infrastructure. To enhance benefits of metrology to society is one of the highest priorities for EURAMET and its members.
Two main tools to achieve these goals are the European Metrology Research Programme (EMRP) and the European Metrology Programme for Innovation and Research (EMPIR) with more than 100 joint research projects so far.
As important to achieve our goals is the CIPM MRA. The Comité International des Poids et Mesures (CIPM) sponsored the creation of a Mutual Recognition Scheme (CIPM MRA) to underpin and formalize technical competence of its signatory National Metrology Institutes and Designated Institutes.
Regional Metrology Organisation
EURAMET is the Regional Metrology Organisation (RMO) of Europe. We coordinate the cooperation of National Metrology Institutes (NMI) in Europe in fields such as research in metrology, traceability of measurements to the SI units, international recognition of national measurement standards and related Calibration and Measurement Capabilities (CMC). Through Knowledge Transfer and cooperation among our members EURAMET facilitates the development of the national metrology infrastructures.
European Metrology Research Programmes
EURAMET is responsible for the elaboration and execution of the European Metrology Research Programme (EMRP) and the European Metrology Programme for Innovation and Research (EMPIR) which is designed to encourage collaboration between European National Metrology Institutes (NMIs) and partners in industry or academia.
Engagement of key stakeholders
It is important that EURAMET understands and prioritises investment in the European measurement infrastructure to address the present and future priorities of business and Government. To achieve this EURAMET will strengthen its links and influence with key users of the measurement infrastructure.
Our Goal is to develop key partnerships, understand stakeholder needs, increase the impact of our work and to anticipate market and needs trends based on foresight analysis.
Increase influence with European policy makers and National Governments
EURAMET has amongst its responsibilities the provision of support for policy-making particularly where measurement has an important role in setting and/or implementing the policy. In many European Directives measurements are a basic building block. EURAMET members actively support the implementation of many EC Directives through measurement and monitoring work.
Further develop co-operation in R&D
In the last years, EURAMET has been successful in working with the European Commission and great number of the National Governments of member countries in developing the European Metrology Research Programme (EMPR) and the European Metrology Programme for Innovation and Research (EMPIR).
The Programmes have initiated more than 100 Joint Research Projects and there are many more to come. The aim is to further develop the metrology capability of Europe to be fit for meeting global challenges.
Deliver high value to members and associates
Our goal is to:
- Understand the true needs and visions of members and have an inclusive approach to all member needs
- To support all members and associates in achieving their own objectives taking into account existing diversity but balanced with overall European needs
- Increase scope for co-operation and sharing of resources/facilities for mutual benefit and convergent development
- Stimulate the development of a stable national framework for metrology by appropriate involvement of key metrology players as well as supporting metrology excellence as a driving force
Supporting quality infrastructure in Europe and internationally
Our Goal is to:
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of CIPM/MRA
- Influence Joint Committee of the Regional Metrology Organisation in close co-operation with other RMOs to optimise CIPM MRA processes and governance
- Strengthen cooperation with European Co-operation for Accreditation (EA) in areas of common interest associated with accreditation
- Work with EC in the implementation of technical aid projects in the accession and countries outside Europe
The EURAMET Strategy 2020 and further fundamental documents can be found in our Publications and Media Centre >>