Please type a search term (at least two characters)
Maintaining national measurement standards and demonstrating their equivalence to those of other countries is one of the key responsibilities of a National Metrology Institute (NMI). The matter of choice for the latter task is generally the participation of the NMI in the Mutual Recognition Arrangement of the CIPM (known as CIPM MRA), which requires successful participation in inter-laboratory comparisons with other NMIs and peer evaluation of the NMI’s Calibration and Measurement Capabilities (CMC) and the underlying Quality Management System (QMS).
Facilitating the participation in the CIPM MRA and in particular supporting those EURAMET members which are still preparing for this was the objective of a workshop carried out in Skopje, FYR Macedonia from 27 to 29 of April 2011. The 26 participants came from NMIs of 8 EURAMET member countries. In lectures given by EURAMET and BIPM experts and in practical exercises the participants leant about the general requirements for the participation in the CIPM MRA, how to prepare their QMS for the review by the EURAMET Technical Committee for Quality (TC-Q) and how to prepare CMC entries for evaluation. In break-out sessions the participants prepared roadmaps how their NMI should get their CMCs published on the BIPM Key Comparison Database (KCDB), discussed them with the lecturers and identified possible obstacles and solutions. For detailed information see Agenda.
Both, participants and lecturers considered the workshop as instructive and very useful, appreciated the fruitful discussions in a collegial atmosphere and expressed their wish for repeating this kind of training events in EURAMET. A visit of the laboratories of the host BoM, a short tour through the beautiful old town of Skopje and a taste of the delicious Macedonian food rounded off the event.
- The workshop formed part of the activities of the TC-IM Focus Group on “Facilitating National Metrology Infrastructure Development”.
- It was organised by the Bureau of Metrology of FYR Macedonia (BoM) and the Institute of Metrology of Bosnia and Herzegovina (IMBiH).
- The workshop was mainly financially supported by EFTA within IPA 2008 Regional Quality Infrastructure in the Western Balkans and Turkey, and additionally by the European Commission and PTB Technical Corporation.
Participants came from the following organisations:
- DPM, Albania
- IMBiH, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- CRP Henri Tudor, Luxembourg
- MBM, Montenegro
- BoM, FYR Macedonia
- DMDM, Serbia
- IRB, Croatia
- KDM, Kosovo UNSCR 1244/1999
- Omer Altan, BIPM, Executive Secretary of the JCRB
- Silvie Hoffmanova, CMI (Czech Republic) & Secretary of the EURAMET TC-Q
- Enver Sadikoglu, UME (Turkey) & EURAMET Quality Manager
- Wolfgang Schmid, EURAMET Head of Secretariat