Please type a search term (at least two characters)
Watch this series of videos, each around 2 minutes in length; new ones published every few days over the next few weeks
EURAMET shares a series of short videos that explain the International System of Units (SI), and the redefinition of the SI that is expected to take place on World Metrology Day, 20 May 2019.
In the videos, Prof Joachim Ullrich (President of PTB, Germany's National Measurement Institute and of the Consultative Committee for Units) uses his extensive knowledge of measurement to clearly and succinctly explain the SI and the reason for its proposed redefinition.
Below is the full list of videos, along with the dates when they will be live for you to watch. Reminders will appear on the EURAMET website as each new video is published.
The existing International System of Units
- What is the SI, and why do we need an International System of units? (2 min, Weds 6 June)
- How is the present International System of Units designed? (1,5 min, Weds 13 June)
- What are the drawbacks of the present SI? (1,5 min, Fri 15 June)
- If we have such a beautiful system, why do we need to revise it? (1,5 min, Tues 19 June)
- How will the revision be achieved, and are there examples from the past? (1,5 min, Fri 22 June)
- How will the kilogramme be defined in the future? (2 min, Weds 27 June)
- What are the benefits of a revised SI? (3 min, Fri 29 June)
- Will the redefinition have an impact on everyday life? (1 min, Tues 3 July)
Supporting new technologies
- Why is the revised SI also called the quantum SI? (1 min, Fri 6 July)
- What is the 2nd quantum revolution? (2 min, Weds 11 July)
- How does the revised SI support the development of quantum technology? (2 min, Mon 16 July)
Are you interested in more technical details? Then have a look at recorded by EURAMET.
New methods are developed for electrical characterisation of graphene more
New EMPIR project launches stakeholder survey to help assess industry needs more
Developing reference materials and standards to fight against the spread of the coronavirus more
European metrology institutes from EURAMET’s TraceLabMed network provide essential support for COVID-19 viral and antibody testing more
EMN TraceLabMed members contribute to improving the accuracy and quality of coronavirus testing procedures more