Please type a search term (at least two characters)
Developing expertise for the practical use of digital impedance bridges
Completed EMPIR project A versatile electrical impedance calibration laboratory based on digital impedance bridges (17RPT04, VerslCal) improved the European measurement infrastructure for digital electrical impedance measurement. This is one of the most widely measured electrical quantities, important for studying areas including supercapacitors, solar materials, and biological tissues.
Specific achievements of the project include:
- Developing digital impedance bridges to realise impedance scales at five laboratories across Europe. The laboratories were Trescal Denmark, Metrosert Estonia, GUM Poland, TUBITAK Turkey, NSAI Ireland. This constitutes a step change in the capability of these laboratories in this field of measurement, and will improve the traceability chain, in terms of accuracy, accessibility and economic cost, available to users of impedance measuring devices.
- Training to develop the research capacity of participating national metrology institutes (NMIs) and Designated Institutes (DIs) in this technical area. The resulting access to scales for electrical impedance quantities based on digital impedance bridges will shorten and improve the traceability chain for this important measuring quantity and benefit accredited calibration centres and their customers.
- Developing a good practice guide Guide to the realisation of capacitance and inductance scales using digital techniques for the application of digital impedance bridges and the realisation of inductance and capacitance scales and a software tool for modelling uncertainties.
- Creating a virtual training laboratory to provide a novel, practical and low-cost method for disseminating relevant knowledge and expertise. This laboratory gives new users experience of operating a digital impedance bridge thus helping to encourage their uptake.
- Collaborating with a start-up company with the aim to fabricating impedance bridge components
Through these achievements, the project has facilitated the training and dissemination of expertise in practical ways, supporting industries in the adoption of digital techniques for accurate impedance measurements.
This EMPIR project is co-funded by the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and the EMPIR Participating States.
Want to hear more about EURAMET?
Sign up for EURAMET newsletters and other information
EMPIR project develops new NanoXSpot (NxS) gauge with line groups, Siemens star, and hole patterns for focal spot size measurement down to 100 nm more
Better ways of dealing with radioactive incidents, such as occurred at Fukushima and Chernobyl, have been developed by an EMPIR project more
World Metrology Day 2022 - Metrology in the Digital Era more
The theme in 2022 is ‘Metrology in the Digital Era’ more
EMPIR project helps extend ionising radiation monitoring in Europe in the event of nuclear incident more