Please type a search term (at least two characters)
Developing expertise for the practical use of digital impedance bridges
Completed EMPIR project A versatile electrical impedance calibration laboratory based on digital impedance bridges (17RPT04, VerslCal) improved the European measurement infrastructure for digital electrical impedance measurement. This is one of the most widely measured electrical quantities, important for studying areas including supercapacitors, solar materials, and biological tissues.
Specific achievements of the project include:
- Developing digital impedance bridges to realise impedance scales at five laboratories across Europe. The laboratories were Trescal Denmark, Metrosert Estonia, GUM Poland, TUBITAK Turkey, NSAI Ireland. This constitutes a step change in the capability of these laboratories in this field of measurement, and will improve the traceability chain, in terms of accuracy, accessibility and economic cost, available to users of impedance measuring devices.
- Training to develop the research capacity of participating national metrology institutes (NMIs) and Designated Institutes (DIs) in this technical area. The resulting access to scales for electrical impedance quantities based on digital impedance bridges will shorten and improve the traceability chain for this important measuring quantity and benefit accredited calibration centres and their customers.
- Developing a good practice guide Guide to the realisation of capacitance and inductance scales using digital techniques for the application of digital impedance bridges and the realisation of inductance and capacitance scales and a software tool for modelling uncertainties.
- Creating a virtual training laboratory to provide a novel, practical and low-cost method for disseminating relevant knowledge and expertise. This laboratory gives new users experience of operating a digital impedance bridge thus helping to encourage their uptake.
- Collaborating with a start-up company with the aim to fabricating impedance bridge components
Through these achievements, the project has facilitated the training and dissemination of expertise in practical ways, supporting industries in the adoption of digital techniques for accurate impedance measurements.
This EMPIR project is co-funded by the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and the EMPIR Participating States.
Want to hear more about EURAMET?
Sign up for EURAMET newsletters and other information
Mercury is highly toxic to humans, animals and ecosystems. Its oxidised forms are particularly harmful but prior to the work of this project lacked va... more
Work by an EMPIR project to improve radon monitoring has completed an assessment of 15 radon calibration facilities in Europe more
Improving the quality of biomethane injected into existing European gas networks more
New measurements will provide European water meter manufacturers and water suppliers with reliable and trustworthy measurement capabilities more
Work by EMPIR project helps to optimise radiation detector for use in MR guided radiotherapy treatments more