Please type a search term (at least two characters)
Poster Competition for World Metrology Day 2018 - Call for proposals
World Metrology Day is the annual celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on 20 May 1875. The Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications. The World Metrology Day project is realised jointly by the BIPM and the OIML.
Each year a Regional Metrology Organisation, selected in rotation, agrees to consult its members and identify a National Metrology Institute (NMI) to work with the BIPM and the OIML on the World Metrology Day poster design.
EURAMET is very happy that it is its turn for the 2018 poster, as World Metrology Day 2018 will be the starting point for a very important promotion campaign: the communication for the redefined SI. This occasion will provide a unique opportunity to promote the work of the metrology community.
Therefore, EURAMET will conduct a competition amongst its members for the best poster design for World Metrology Day 2018 - topic is the significance of the SI and its envisaged redefinition. Only EURAMET member NMIs can participate in the competition; NMIs may collaborate or involve their Designated Institutes.
II. Objective and scope of the poster competition
The objective of the competition is to find the best design for the poster of World Metrology Day 2018. Poster proposals in a mock-up stage and completed designs will be accepted in the competition.
Scope of the poster proposals:
1. The design should illustrate the significance of the SI itself and its envisaged redefinition
2. Visual themes and key messages developed in the 'BIPM SI Brand Book' may be part of the design proposal
3. A proposal for the strapline should be made (nonetheless the BIPM may impose a strapline)
4. The design should be based on the SI colour palette and consider the SI illustration as defined in the 'BIPM SI Brand Book'
5. The poster design must be usable in a variety of cultures and in countries that are both advanced and emerging
6. Text on the poster is limited to title, strapline and basic information on World Metrology Day information
7. The designing NMI may place its logo on the design next to the BIPM and the OIML logos; a blank space is reserved for the users to place their own logo on the top right of the poster
Participants must have in mind that on World Metrology Day 2018 the decision on a redefined SI is not yet taken. The poster should not anticipate the decision and therefore needs a smart solution for this and careful crafting; e.g. focussing on constant based measurements in general instead of the redefinition. Final editorial control rests with the BIPM and OIML.
It is recommended to contact BIPM for detailed advice before starting the design work:
Mr Andy Henson, Director International Liaison & Communication Department at BIPM
1. Participants commit to meet the timeline under 'VII. Competition timeline'
2. Submitting parties ensure copyright of images used is respected and allow their incorporation and use for World Metrology Day, including reproduction of the poster by others
III. Key documents and further information
- 'BIPM Guideline for partnering NMI for World Metrology Day poster 2018'
- 'BIPM SI Brand Book': http://www.bipm.org/en/si-download-area/
- Past World Metrology Day posters: http://www.worldmetrologyday.org/past_posters.html
IV. Submission of competition proposals
Per NMI one competition proposal is accepted.
Electronic submission of competition proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
The proposal should be submitted as PDF version in A4 format.
V. Jury and criteria for selection of best proposal
An independent jury will review and evaluate the submitted proposals.
Main criteria for the evaluation of the proposals are:
1. Degree of illustrating the significance of the SI and the strapline
2. State-of-the-art design
3. Usability in different cultures
4. If mock-up only: Feasibility
5. Meeting the requirements of 'II. Objective and scope'
The jury consists of three personal members from the following organisations:
An external design company will act as an advisor to the jury.
VI. Required output after the selection of the design
After the best proposal has been selected, the submitting NMI produces the final version of the poster in collaboration with BIPM and OIML. During the design stage, the BIPM is the main contact for the project.
The NMI must fund its own design work and provide the finally agreed design to BIPM and OIML for use as World Metrology Day promotional material. This includes the assignment of copyright.
The final poster needs to be delivered in a layered Adobe PhotoShop file and in PDF versions in the formats A1, A3 and A4.
Language of the delivered versions: English and French
VII. Competition timeline
Deadline for proposals: Friday, 7 July 2017
Review of proposals: 10 July to 11 August 2017
Selection of best poster proposal: 18 August 2017
Poster production in collaboration with BIPM / OIML: by 8 December 2017
VIII. Contact and questions
EURAMET e. V.
Ms Anne Trumpfheller, Communications Officer
Phone: +49 531 592 1965